If you’ve ever dreamed of being a part of the team that makes conservation happen, sign up now to participate in the first-ever census safari at the famous Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in Northern Kenya. A select few will arrive on March 2, 2017 to spend a week with the ranger team helping to track, locate and count game species for the annual Big Five wildlife census – the most important conservation tool in measuring the success of Lewa’s myriad projects. Take part in conservation activities each day and return to luxurious accommodation, wonderful conversation and great food each evening. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to take part in the action behind-the-scenes, and make a difference while on safari.
All activities are genuine and therefore dependent on the wildlife situation at the time.
- Visit the famous Daphne Sheldrick elephant orphanage at feeding time. Option to sponsor a baby elephant for a year.
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
- Tour the radio operations room
- Take part in the tracker dogs demonstration & NPR exercise
- See the revolutionary elephant corridor in action
- Learn about the Lewa education program & visit the local schools
- Visit the Conservation Education Centre
- Assist with community programs such as healthcare clinics and water projects
- Assist with the wildlife grazing program
- Take part in the annual Lewa/Borana Game Census
- Join Sam Taylor on his ranger deployments and gathering of intelligence reports
- Attend a lecture by Michael Dyer (MD)
- Monitor and track Rhino and Lion with the telemetry receivers
- Head out with one of the scouts on foot to track and ID rhino using ear notch diagrams
- Track lion using the whisker spot ID method
- Mountain bike along the boundary fence lines checking voltages and any damage
- Farm visit to the Perma Culture with Llewellyn Dyer
- Cultural excursion to see how the local Maasai live
For more information, read “Why take part in a game census?” here.
- Day 1: Fly from US to Kenya arriving March 2, 2017, 1 night at The Emakoko, Nairobi
- Day 2-4: Fly to Lewa from Wilson Airport, 3 nights at Lewa Wilderness (March 3-5)
- Day 5: Road transfer to Borana Lodge, 3 nights at Borana Lodge (March 6-8)
- Day 8: Fly to Nairobi Wilson, Day room at The Emakoko (March 9)
The price for this trip is $6,000.00 per person sharing. See detailed inclusions in the full itinerary below.
Give us a call and talk with one of our travel experts.