The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy's hard-working old tractor has finally met its end. After miles of loyal service, there is no pull left in the worn out machine. The loss of this critical piece of equipment is dangerous for Lewa’s operations and needs to be replaced as quickly as possible.
Find out why the tractor is so essential below and TO HELP, CLICK HERE.
SECURITY & ROADS
- A tractor is needed to pull drums of water to the security outposts every three weeks. Clean water is crucial for the security teams’ health and well-being.
- A tractor is critical to keeping the roads in good condition by grading and opening drainages to allow for water runoff. Without clear roads security cannot respond to threats on the conservancy.
- It's not just security that's affected, the Education Programme vehicle can't bring teachers back and forth from schools and medical supplies can't reach the clinics. The weather and conditions on Lewa mean that roads need constant upkeep and without a tractor the logistics team cannot carry out the needed maintenance.
- The dry conditions in northern Kenya make Lewa prone to wildfires. A serious fire on Lewa could decimate the wildlife populations and halt Lewa’s operations.
- When fires do start, a tractor is needed to pull the water bowser to put out the flames.
- Pre-cut firebreaks can stop flames from spreading. To cut these breaks in the dry grass we need a tractor to pull the mower.
TOURISM & INCOME
- Tourism covers approximately 20% of Lewa’s annual operating budget. For tourists to come and stay at Lewa, the tractor is needed to maintain the airstrip safely, and mow the campsites that are used by the mobile operators.
REDUCE ONGOING COSTS
- A new tractor will save funds for Lewa by reducing the costs of constant repairs that were needed by the old machine. These funds can go towards other expenses like ranger salaries, equipment and community outreach.
- Lewa is hoping to purchase a new Same Laser tractor (126 HP, 4WD) known for it’s reliability and fortitude.
- These machines are easy to source spare parts for in Kenya, and the company’s customer service has a proven track record.
- The more reliable the machine, the more quickly we can carry out any repairs and get back to the important work on the ground.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP
Thank you to all of the generous donors who have contributed towards the new tractor so far every little bit helps. Your contribution to this campaign will have a tremendous impact on Lewa’s operations. Please click on the link below and show your support.