Whether this is your first safari or your fifth, Extraordinary Journeys has an array of extravagant activities that will surprise and delight even the most experienced safari-goers.
Offbeat excursions in remote locations. An all-day private tour of Cape Town’s kelp forests with a world record-holding free diver. A day trip to Antarctica (really). If you can dream it, chances are we can make it happen.
Extravagant, better-than-you-dreamed experiences are an EJ hallmark. Here are a few of our favorites.
5 Extravagant Experiences in Africa
- Put a vintage spin on your next game “drive” with a biplane excursion at Segera or Lewa Downs, one of Kenya's major private conservation success stories.
- Discover Cape Town from a local point of view. Spend a day with world-champion freediver Hanli Prinsloo and her partner Peter Marshall.
You don’t want to miss having these two as your private guides for the day. Hanli and Peter are two of the kindest people you could hope to meet; they’ll instantly make you feel like family. And if you want to try freediving for the first time, you couldn’t ask for a better teacher than Hanli.
- Get whisked away by private hot air balloon at Tanzania’s Grumeti Serengeti Tented Camp. We especially love this property during the Wildebeest Migration in May and June.
- Unwind at a private tented camp in the Maasai Mara with two truly world-class guides, Lara Leakey and Ninian Lowis. This husband-and-wife duo have over 22 years experience and family histories in Kenya reaching back nearly a century.
- Their infectious love for Africa’s rich cultures, extraordinary wildlife, and unforgettable landscapes cannot be overstated. We love them, and you will, too.
- Experience the thrill of a helicopter safari. Perhaps our favorite extravagant addition of all, nothing beats the incredible views and incomparable access. If you’re short on time or simply want to see a location inaccessible by road, a helicopter safari is your answer. Take a 15-minute spin around Cape Town, or go all-in on a multi-day safari in Northern Kenya and Ethiopia. The sky is quite literally the limit.
Get a bit of inspiration from EJ co-founder Elizabeth Gordon’s own helicopter safari in Northern Kenya! Go fishing at Lake Turkana, stop along the way in the dramatic Suguta Valley, and soar with flamingos over Lake Logipi.
7 Extravagant Experiences Out of Africa
Dar Achlam's private tented camp in the desert in Morocco
- Spend a day with Aboriginal guide Juan Walker who specializes in tours of Tropical North Queensland’s Daintree and Mossman areas.
A major component of Juan’s tours is his sharing of the history, traditions, and culture of his Aboriginal heritage with travelers as they learn to spear fish, look for mussels, and forage for other edibles along the shore.
If learning about the people at your destination is as important to you as the place itself, we highly recommend letting us add a tour with Juan to your Australian adventure.
- Strap on your walking shoes for a four-day Maria Island adventure with Great Walks of Tasmania. We adore their guided tours of this gorgeous slice of the world. But we recommend you “step it up” and stay on the 75-foot luxury ketch, Lady Eugenie, and let us arrange a private guide for you.
- Swim with a marine biologist at Western Australia’s Ningaloo Reef, one of the world’s longest fringing coral reefs. Spend a day on a private charter, swimming alongside gentle giants like whale sharks and manta rays.
- Day trip to Antarctica. Yes, you read that right. You can fly from South Africa to the “white desert” in just 5 ½ hours by private jet. (You can either charter the entire plane or book a single seat for $15,000 per person. Note that for single-seat bookings, there’s only one departure in 2019, and it’s in December).
Survey glaciers, trek through snow-blanketed mountains, and explore ice caves, all at a pace tailored specifically to your group. Finish the day with a champagne dinner before flying back to South Africa. We guarantee this is one “scenic detour” you’ll never forget.
- Enjoy a special private visit to the Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires. Ranked as one of the three best lyric auditoriums in the world, it’s renowned for its exceptional architecture and acoustics. The world’s most prominent figures in classical music, opera, and ballet regularly perform here.
After touring this magnificent theatre, settle in for either a private performance from a world-renowned tenor in the Golden Room (Salón Dorado). Or if you prefer instrumental music, attend an official rehearsal of the Teatro Colón Permanent Orchestra, one of the oldest symphony orchestras in Argentina.
- Experience the timeless beauty and solitude of a night under the stars. Camp in the dunes of the Moroccan desert with Dar Ahlam. Go ahead, let your inner child loose and run up and down the golden sand dunes before tucking in for a luxurious night’s sleep.
- Hot air balloon in the stunning, otherworldly Atacama desert, the driest in the world. Then settle into Awasi Atacama, the most luxurious and intimate property in the region. With only eight rooms, this oasis in the desert provides ultimate privacy. Plus, Awasi’s top-notch guides tailor the day’s activities to your exact interests.
The Only Limit is Your Imagination
With very few exceptions, if you can dream it, we can plan it.
These twelve experiences are just a taste of all the incredible ways we can take your safari to the next level. If extravagant, once-in-a-lifetime adventures are what you’re looking for, we deliver.
Whether in Africa or elsewhere, by land or sea or air, we make your journey magical in every sense of the word.
Plan Your Visit
Then, start packing that suitcase because we’ve got all the details covered.